For Christmas I got my son AJ one of these Sodastream Soda Makers. He’s been using it for two months now, and here are the benefits that we see to using it:
- Water Tastes Better – You control the water source. We are lucky enough to be able to drink well water which is delicious. I don’t know if you would have the same experience with tap water.
- Drink Less – AJ finds that he drink less because it’s not as easy as popping open a can; however, it does taste much better.
- Carbonate To Your Liking – You can carbonate the water to be as sparkly as you wish, including making it extra-sparkly so you can add juice to make a sweetened carbonated beverage. Doing this with regular sparkling water degrades the carbonation.
- No Aluminum Cans – No aluminum cans to collect and cash in. Not to mention the hazards in using aluminum based products.
- No Grocery Shopping – No weekly trips to the grocery store to buy 12 packs of sparkling water.
- Always In Stock – Our local store never kept a very big stock of the water, so sometimes we were stopping by the store and finding none on hand.
- No Storage Area Necessary – Don’t need a space to store the 12 packs; just a place on your counter.
- Don’t Have to Lug Into the House – This is great not having to cart 12 packs into the house.
- Eco-Friendly – The Sodastream comes with a BPA-free carbonating bottle has a lifespan of 3 years and is not made with any polycarbonate materials or substances that produce phthalates or PCBs. The 12 packs came in a cardboard container, so using the Sodastream eliminates that waste as well. AJ ordered the 1/2 liter travel size bottle since he never drinks an entire liter before it goes flat.
- No Electricity or Batteries Needed – no cost for operating.
- Less Expensive – Costs for the 12 pack when it was not on sale were $0.70/liter. By investing in the 3 exchange kit, AJ could be paying as little as $0.20/liter.
|Store bought 12 pack of 12 ounces can regular price||Store bought 12 pack of 12 ounce cans sale price||Sodastream (1 exchange and 1 spare)||Sodastream (3 exchanges)|
|Cost per 12 pack||$2.99||$2.50|
|Cost for 60L carbonator when buying 1 spare and 1 exchange(carbonates up to 60 liters)||$20.00||$13.33|
|Cost per ounce||$0.0207 (over 2 cents per ounce)||$0.0173 (almost 2 cents per ounce)||$0.0098 (almost 1 cent per ounce)||$0.006 (close to 1/2 cent per ounce)|
|Cost per 12 ounces||$0.25||$0.20||$0.12||$0.07|
|Cost per liter||$0.70||$0.58 per liter||$0.33 per liter||$0.20 per liter|
If you are interested in buying a Sodastream, they have a referral program. Currently you could get a $10 off coupon if you buy directly from Sodastream, but you will need to contact me with your name and email address so that I can send you a referral link. Sodastream has not paid me to do this review, I just think it is a good product.