I have not done a lot of decorating but whenever I did, it always had to be done on a budget!!
Here are my top six tips for decorating on a budget. As you read through, please think of your favorites and leave it in the comments below.
- Decide on your budget. How much money do you have? If you’re paying off debt, let’s face it, you probably shouldn’t be spending your money on decorating. But sometimes we have to lighten up a little bit, and it is quite possible to make a room look nicer for a small amount of money.
- Be realistic. For whom are you decorating? Will this be for your soon to arrive baby or toddler’s room? If so, the little one isn’t going to care a huge deal about how fancy you get. Are you trying to keep up with the Jones? Or are you just trying to spiff up your dining room or living room? You can do a few things to brighten up a room and not spend a lot.
- Assess the room you’re decorating. Take measurements of the room. Measure each wall individually. Also get the measurements on any windows in the room.
- Decide what you’d like to do to brighten up the room. Does it need a couple of pictures? Could it use new curtains? What about painting one wall of the room with a bright color (this will save money on paint!).
- Choose your colors. What color scheme do you want for the room you are decorating? When you decide on the main color, visit your local hardware store’s paint section and find your color in the swatch section. Usually they will have the little samples with color and there will be a dark version of the color and then lighter versions. Keep this with you while you are looking for your decorating items. If you’ve decided to paint one wall, have the square footage of that wall with you and go ahead and order your gallon of paint. Or maybe you can get by with only one quart of paint if the wall is small.
- Visit your local thrift stores, preferably on the sale days. With your color swatch in hand, and your room’s measurements, visit the local thrift stores. Did you decide that a picture or two will glam up the room? If you don’t find any pictures that are suitable, maybe you’ll find a frame in the right color. Or maybe you’ll find a picture you don’t like, but love the frame. Or you could repaint the frame with your paint and put in your own photo. Does the room need curtains? You’ve got your color swatch and the window measurements in hand so you can find something that will work. Do you like knick-knacks? Visit the knick-knack section for items in the color your room is going to be. Silk flowers can often brighten up a room and are very reasonably priced from thrift stores.
These are my favorite tips – what are yours? Please leave a comment below of your favorite frugal decorating tip!
You may also like these posts for decorating on a budget:
- Increase the Value of Your Home With a Few Simple, Affordable Changes by The Digerati Life
- Best Halloween Home Decorating Tips by Frugal Zeitgeist
- Frugal Ideas for Decorating Baby’s Nursery by Not Made of Money
- Cheap & Chic: Decorating on a Budget by Well Heeled
- Frugal Ideas Beauty Tips to Kitchen Decorating by Not Made of Money
- The Cost of Making Your House a Home by Frugal Confessions
- Embroidery Wall Hoops – Frugal Wall Art by Ultimate Money Blog
Personal Finance Articles
- How to Create a Budget – Celebrate Small Victories! by KNS Financial – Faithful With a Few
- Farmers Markets, Fall Edition: Healthy, Tasty, Budget-Friendly from Mint.com
- Time Management, Revisited by Funny About Money
- Splurge a Little on Yourself by Money Crush
The Financial Blogger has a new retirement planning site called DoNotWait.com. He is having a fantastic giveaway to celebrate the launch of the site. You can win an iPad (valued at 769.99) and many other prizes! So make sure to check them out here.
Tom from Canadian Finance Blog has a new resource called Money Index, and Out of Debt Again has been included in the Personal Finance Section. Thanks, Tom! This site includes a summary of the most recent posts from personal money finance bloggers.