Taxes Due Today in the US or File an Extension

If you’re in Arizona,’s Arizona Tax Forms and Filing has some good information on filing your 2009 taxes, especially if you are planning to file an extension.

We decided to file an extension again this year, even though we are anticipating a refund. I know, I know.

June Walker actually thinks it’s a good idea to file an extension, here’s a snippet of what she has to say on the subject:

Ignore the old husbands’ tale that filing an extension triggers IRS computer screens to flash “Audit this return!” Not so. An extension gives you more time to collect and review your material. And, even if you have your return completed by the  end of March, it’s better for you to hold that return for a little marination — especially in these turbulent economic times.

In spite of this assurance, I do hope next year to be a lot more organized. 2009 was a rough year with Mr. A’s businesses since I started using QuickBooks Pro and we opened his business checking accounts.  This has been a lot of extra work that I don’t anticipate for the 2010 tax season.

Another reason we decided to file an extension is because I want our accountant to look over the taxes, and also Quickbooks entries. I want to make sure I’ve done everything correctly.  Since I was running so late in getting our taxes completed, I didn’t want to show up on her doorstep at the last minute when it’s possible to file an extension. You still need to do a bit of preliminary tax calculating to figure out if you will owe money or get a refund when filing an extension. If you owe money, it is recommended that you make an estimated payment, here from the IRS:

An extension of time to file is not an extension of time to pay. You need to estimate your tax liability and pay any balance due when you request the extension.

Form 4868 is what you need to file for your federal extension, and if you are in Arizona, you’ll need Form 204.

It is also possible to file an extension at several e-file sites online, here is the information page from the IRS.

Happy tax filing! 😉

OUT OF DEBT AGAIN is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to AMAZON.COM. OUT OF DEBT AGAIN is an affiliate for several companies and may be compensated through advertising and marketing channels. This post may contain affiliate links.

1 thought on “Taxes Due Today in the US or File an Extension

  1. I finally got mine done a couple of hours ago, so whew! I’d probably be more likely to file an extension if I was expecting a refund, becaue then I wouldn’t have to worry about paying enough along with the extension.


Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

CommentLuv badge